Oliver Wicksmith is a professional candle maker and instructor with a background in chemistry. He specializes in creating eco-friendly candles using sustainable materials and techniques. Oliver is dedicated to teaching others the art of candle making and promoting a greener lifestyle.
Paraffin and beeswax candles are two popular choices when it comes to candle making. While both types of candles serve the purpose of providing light and ambiance, there are some key differences between them. Let's take a closer look at the characteristics of paraffin and beeswax candles.
1. Wax Source: Paraffin candles are made from petroleum, a non-renewable resource. On the other hand, beeswax candles are made from the wax produced by bees in their hives. Beeswax is a natural and sustainable material, making it a more eco-friendly choice.
2. Scent: Paraffin candles are often scented with synthetic fragrances, which can release harmful chemicals when burned. Beeswax candles, on the other hand, have a natural honey-like scent that is subtle and soothing. They do not require any additional fragrances to enhance their aroma.
3. Burn Time: Beeswax candles have a longer burn time compared to paraffin candles. This is because beeswax has a higher melting point, which means it burns slower and lasts longer. So, if you're looking for candles that will give you more hours of enjoyment, beeswax candles are the way to go.
4. Clean Burning: When burned, paraffin candles can release soot and toxins into the air, which can be harmful to your health. Beeswax candles, on the other hand, burn clean and produce very little soot. They are a healthier option for indoor use, especially for those with respiratory sensitivities.
5. Natural Glow: Beeswax candles have a warm and natural glow that is unmatched by paraffin candles. The natural color of beeswax ranges from pale yellow to deep golden, giving your space a cozy and inviting atmosphere.
6. Cost: Paraffin candles are generally cheaper than beeswax candles. However, when you consider the longer burn time and the health benefits of beeswax candles, the higher cost is well worth it.
In conclusion, while paraffin candles may be more affordable, beeswax candles offer a range of benefits that make them a superior choice. They are eco-friendly, have a longer burn time, burn clean, and provide a natural and soothing scent. If you're looking to create a healthier and more sustainable environment in your home, I highly recommend giving beeswax candles a try.