Oliver Wicksmith is a professional candle maker and instructor with a background in chemistry. He specializes in creating eco-friendly candles using sustainable materials and techniques. Oliver is dedicated to teaching others the art of candle making and promoting a greener lifestyle.
Adding baking soda to homemade candles can provide several benefits. Baking soda, also known as sodium bicarbonate, is a versatile ingredient that can enhance the quality and performance of your candles. Here are some of the key benefits of incorporating baking soda into your candle making process:
1. Improved Scent Throw: Baking soda has the ability to absorb odors, making it an excellent addition to scented candles. By adding a small amount of baking soda to your candle wax, you can help neutralize any unwanted smells and enhance the fragrance of your candle. This is especially useful if you're using essential oils or other strong scents in your candles.
2. Longer Burn Time: Baking soda can help slow down the burning process of your candles, resulting in a longer burn time. When mixed with the wax, baking soda acts as a heat sink, absorbing and dispersing the heat more evenly. This can help your candles burn more slowly and last longer, allowing you to enjoy their warm glow for extended periods.
3. Reduced Soot: Soot is a common problem with candles, especially those made from paraffin wax. When burned, paraffin wax can release black soot particles into the air, which can be harmful to your health and leave unsightly residue on your walls and furniture. By adding baking soda to your candle wax, you can help minimize soot production and create cleaner-burning candles.
4. Enhanced Color: Baking soda can also help improve the color of your homemade candles. When added to the wax, baking soda acts as a whitening agent, making the wax appear brighter and more vibrant. This is particularly beneficial if you're using dyes or pigments to create colored candles, as it can help intensify the hues and create a more visually appealing finished product.
5. Eco-Friendly Option: Baking soda is a natural and environmentally friendly ingredient, making it a great choice for eco-conscious candle makers. Unlike some other additives, baking soda is non-toxic and safe to use in candles. It's also readily available and affordable, making it a convenient option for those who want to create sustainable candles at home.
In conclusion, adding baking soda to homemade candles can offer a range of benefits, including improved scent throw, longer burn time, reduced soot, enhanced color, and eco-friendliness. If you're interested in experimenting with baking soda in your candle making process, be sure to follow proper safety guidelines and conduct small test batches to determine the optimal amount for your desired results. You can also consider joining a candle making class to learn more. Happy candle making!